Monday, February 18, 2013

Probably the Last Post Before the Big Day

I'm very pleased with where we are based at the minute. Last year, I remember visiting the workers' mall, when we were taken to their camp. I felt immensely aware of the colour of my skin, and my social status when we were on their territory. Now, the aforementioned Grand Mall is our local shop, which Tom and I walk to, every now and then. On our walk there via the eternal construction on the pavement (I just want to clear my point here, there is never a pavement; all the walkways are just sand), we find plenty of time and material to discover new facts that make Dubai what it is.

What a pretty water tower
Not an artwork, but better than one
Just at the corner from us, so cute!
We walked to the beach the other day, I feel very proud to show that it is still possible to walk to places in Dubai
Jebel Ali Racecourse
The building that made me feel homesick

We already know that, moments of suspension will not wait for us forever. If we are not quick enough, opportunities here just disappear in a single moment. You should jump on the carousel, when it is already spinning. Tom was telling me about his experience at the bakery of Grand Mall. As a British citizen, of course he loves queuing up, and politely waiting for his turn to arrive and to be asked what he wants. Whereas this morning, he told me his funny story of gradually being pushed back and back at the bakery queue. You have to take what you want yourself apparently, rather than waiting for it to be given to you. It is the same in traffic. When we aim to cross the road, the cars are in hesitation, almost expecting us to jump on the road, and cross before them. But this doesn't make them to stop and give way; so there is a stage of limbo in everything.

Today's post is dedicated to Ben. I'm not used to coming across such generous, big-hearted people in my daily life. And here in Dubai, I almost melt into the ground with the favours of some old friends I met last year. Ben is lending us his fancy expensive SLR gadgets so that we can make a great film. He gave two inductions to Tom on his sophisticated cinematography skills. Who would do that!? I promise here, (this published post is the copyright of my promise) you Ben, will make my next film, where ever it will be.

Yesterday was the day of our rehearsal. Here I present Ghulam! He is very charismatic.

We also visited Tashkeel today to borrow the tripod for the film; everything is finally coming together. (Thanks Ali for taking us there) We have a very civilised but also beautifully archaic agreement with Tashkeel. Tom and I will give a welding workshop as an exchange in skills, towards borrowing the equipment. Wish that was the only way of trading in real life. 

Such a nice feeling it was; seeing Hadeyeh, Hala, Khalid, Salama, Jill and Latifah today. It was very comforting as it felt we are proceeding on a project after a small break, from where we left. Comforting to see some elements of Dubai remaining the same; and that evokes homeliness.

Can't wait to see Farah tonight; can't wait for that sweet homely feeling again.

No comments:

Post a Comment